Monday, March 16, 2015

Feminist Lens: Janet Gil

Women are supposed to cook and do housework.Women are responsible for raising children. Women are not as strong as men.
Although it is 2015, gender inequality is still a global issue. Stereotypes have managed to influence how people view women’s capabilities. This is not okay.

For my AP Literature class I will be reading the well-known novel Beloved by Toni Morrison. I decided to analyze this text with the Feminist critical lens because I can relate too the difficulties women must handle to overcome judgement. This lens interests me much more than other lens because it has to do with an issue we still face today. Since this novel takes place in the 1870's, women have close to no rights, especially colored women. I think it will be fascinating to analyze how Morrison portrays Women in Beloved.
Image result for women stereotypesOne of the other lens I considered was the Historical Lens. In this lens you are required to pay close attention to a text because you have to determine the time period it is taking place in. Finding around the time the text place in helps you tie back to other historical events like the Holocaust, or World War 2, eventually allowing you to receive a much better understanding of the text. However, I hope that by choosing the Feminist lens I will learn more about character interactions when reading anything.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell the feminist lens is a good choice for you, as it will allow you to delve deep into the novel. I really enjoyed reading about not only why you choose the lens you did, but explaining why others were not the right fit. Good luck on finding that hidden meaning you so search for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also reading the book through the feminist lens. The reasons you gave to why you were using this lens were compelling. Our society has managed to keep a general definition for women, making us something unimportant as men are. I am interested in reading your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete